The Bede House

Evie Godfrey

The Bede House in Higham Ferrers was set up by Archbishop Henry Chichele in 1428. It was built in the typical Northamptonshire banded limestone, with alternate courses of silver and ochre stone.

The building was designed to house twelve poor, older men (the Bedesmen) and one woman to look after them (the Bedeswoman). Each Bedesmen had a cubicle and locker opening onto the large central hall with its large fireplace.