Church of St Edmund King and Martyr
9 September @ 9:00 am - 11 September @ 5:00 pmFree
The first known incumbent was here in 1223, but there had already been a church for some time: when Simon de Senlis, 2nd Earl of Northampton, founded the Cluniac priory of St Andrew in Northampton, between 1093 and 1100, he endowed it richly, including his lands in Hardingstone and the church itself. The earliest surviving fabric is the early 13C tower base, but this was probably added to an earlier church. The funeral cortege of Queen Eleanor stopped at nearby Delapre Abbey in 1290, an event commemorated by an Eleanor cross (one of only three surviving).
There are two elaborate tombs in the Harvey chapel. Following the dissolution of the monasteries, the church became the burial place of the families living at Delapre Abbey: the Tates, Clarkes and Bouveries.
The Church Heritage Record designates St Edmunds as Grade II*, ‘particularly important’ and of ‘more than special interest’ (Historic England), for the following principal reasons:
* Extensive surviving medieval fabric, with interesting and significant survivals from a C18 restoration, which has undergone thorough restoration in 1868-69
* Very good monuments, including an important C18 monument by Rysbrack.
* An important survival of the medieval villages that surrounded Northampton and have now been largely incorporated into Northampton proper.
St Edmunds Church, High Street, Hardingstone, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 6BZ