- This event has passed.
30th October, 2020 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
One event on 9th October, 2020 at 2:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 11:00 am on Friday, repeating until 30th October, 2020
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Friday, repeating until 30th October, 2020
Make the most of your visit to the Cathedral with a Highlights Tour – your introduction to the Cathedral’s long and colourful history.
Peterborough Abbey, which became a Cathedral in 1541, has been at the centre of national and international events for over 900 years. It has been an influential medieval monastery and a royal burial place, survived major damage during the Civil War and enjoyed a period of restoration and rediscovery of its Anglo-Saxon origins in the 19th century. A Highlights Tour will introduce you to these stories and more as you explore the building with a knowledgeable guide.
What do you see on the tour?
The Cathedral always provides something new to spot on every visit, but items to look out for and hear more about include:
- the Romanesque arches of the nave and the unique painted wooden thirteenth century ceiling
- the tomb of Queen Katharine of Aragon and the original burial place of Mary Queen of Scots
- the marvellous fan vaulting of the late fifteenth century ‘New Building’
- the intriguing early ninth century Saxon sculpture known as the ‘Hedda Stone’
Tickets and details
The Highlights Tour costs £5 per person, payable by card on arrival.
The Tour covers the ground level of the Cathedral takes roughly one hour. Start times are:
Fridays during October
Saturdays during October
11.00am (except Saturday 3rd October)
Sundays during October
Booking is not usually necessary, but if you want to be sure of a place, please email firstname.lastname@example.org two days ahead of your visit. Given enough notice, it is also possible to book a private tour at a different date and time (minimum charge applies). Contact us on the email address above to discuss options.
The tours begin at the Welcome Desk just inside the Cathedral.
Due to the current COVID restrictions, each tour is restricted to a maximum of six guests who are required to:
- Wear a face covering during their visit, unless exempt from doing so for health reasons.
- Sanitise their hands on arrival and on exit.
- Scan the QR code or leave their contact details for NHS Test and Trace purposes.
- Observe social distancing of 2 metres between households throughout their visit.