St Pegas Church and Medieval Wall Paintings – Heritage Open Days
11 September @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 12:00 pm, repeating until 11th September, 2022
14th Century wall paintings are the most striking feature of Peakirk church, but its fabric dates from the early 11th to 15th century. Join us for stories of Anglo-Saxon rivalries and misdeeds behind its founding. Guided tours are also available.
The most striking feature of St Pegas Church is its extensive 14th century wall paintings, including a passion sequence and a St Christopher, as well as two lively morality paintings. The smaller (and rarer) of these depicts two women enjoying a good gossip, encouraged by a devil pushing their heads together, while a larger painting depicts the story of the three living and the three dead, illustrating the transience of life and the meaninglessness of material pleasure. Fragments of further paintings surviving over the chancel arch and elsewhere suggest a much more extensive scheme. Architectural detail illustrates innovation over 1000 years.
The earliest reference to Peakirk is contained in a document recording a grant of land, made in 1016 by King Edmund (known as Ironside) to a ‘new minster’ here, given as an act of contrition for taking and marrying another man’s wife. Anglo-Saxon fabric survives, but early fabric mainly dates to the 11th-15th centuries. The west end and bellcote are similar to our neighbouring church in Northborough, but with 3 rather than 2 bells. Enjoy the paintings, and also unpicking the church’s architecture, and learn more about the history of both church and village.
7A Chestnut Close, Peakirk, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE6 7NW