In 1879, two ecclesiastical parishes, Aldwinkle All Saints and Aldwinkle St Peter merged after the parish church of the former was declared redundant in 1971. All Saints, a designated Grade I listed building, is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
There has been a settlement in Wadenhoe for over 800 years and it is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The 13th century church; The Church of St. Michael and All Angels is located in a prominent position on a hill overlooking the meadowlands of the Nene valley and isolated from the main part of the village which lies below along the … Read More
The village has two Church of England churches reflecting the fact that the village is formed from two separate ones. St Andrew’s is externally mostly 13th century including a tower. There are monuments to Christopher Freeman (d.1610) and Rev Nicholas Latham (d.1620). All Saints’ is also 13th century but only the chancel remains after the rest was demolished in 1825 and that retains the Montagu monuments: Henry Montagu … Read More
Stoke Doyle is two miles south-west of the town of Oundle, on the road between there and Wadenhoe. A stream running through the village rises in Lilford Wood and flows into the River Nene. Stoke Doyle’s church, dedicated to Saint Rumbold, stands to the east of the road and was built between 1722–1725. The village has a pub, the Shuckburgh Arms.
There is evidence that Polebrook as a settlement dates back to 400 BC, where the village consisted of mainly farms. There may have been a wooden church on the site of the current 12th century stone Church of All Saints. Thomas de Thelwall, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster was the parish priest of Polebrook in the 1360s. RAF Polebrook was a little southeast of the village … Read More
Ashton was re-built in 1900 by the Rothschild family for estate workers. Since 1965 it has hosted the World Conker Championship traditionally on the second Sunday of October. This is now held at the Shuckburgh Arms. The village is the birthplace of Dame Miriam Rothschild a noted natural scientist and author.
In the summer of 1736 a Romano-British villa was discovered when tesserae from a large mosaic pavement were uncovered during ploughing. The villa was subsequently located a second time by aerial photography during the extremely dry summer of 1976, when parch marks of buried walls were recorded spread across three fields. A geophysical survey undertaken to accurately locate and amplify the aerial photographic information was carried out over … Read More
Warmington and its rich farming lands belonged to the Abbey of Peterborough in Saxon Times and in the Middle Ages was a prosperous agricultural community. The Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin stands on the south side of the village. It consists of a Chancel, Nave with North and South Aisles, West Tower with spire, and North and South Porches. The walls are partly of ashlar and partly of … Read More
Most noted for being the site of Fotheringhay Castle which was razed in 1627. There is nothing left of the castle to be seen today other than the motte on which it was built that provides excellent views of the River Nene. The Nene Way long distance footpath runs through the village. As the home of the great Yorkist line, the village was, for a … Read More
- Page 1 of 2